REPORING TO: Head of R&D
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Heyford Park, Upper Heyford, Bicester
Market & Company Overview
The rapid transition of all forms of transport to electric vehicles (EVs) is unstoppable. Governments globally are aligning on 2030 being the year when the sale of new internal combustion engine (ICE) cars are banned and all 2/3/4 wheel vehicles will quickly follow. The end of the road is in sight for the ICE Age, we’re in the EV Era.
Saietta Group is ideally positioned to be a leader in the transition. We are an established SME based in Oxfordshire, England which engineers and manufactures class-leading EV motors. We’ve invested heavily to engineer proprietary, Axial Flux Traction (AFT) motor tech which is a break-through in EV propulsion motors. It’s patent protected with clear competitive advantages in torque, efficiency and cost. It’s modular in design, meaning high and low voltage e-motors can be provided from scooters to buses. It’s also been rigorously designed for high automation in volume production. The result is a powerful competitive advantage of the right performance at the right price to drive the global mass transition to EVs.
We also provide turnkey engineering services to OEMs. Capabilities include market research, product definition, CAE & simulation, e-motor electrical & mechanical integration, prototype build and vehicle testing on 20 miles of private test tracks. We can go further still into low volume production and production process definition. Click here to see more.
The launch motor variant is branded AFT 140 and is optimised for mid-power motorbikes and final-mile delivery vehicles. It delivers class-leading performance with high torque density at low voltage and is particularly efficient on urban duty cycles. AFT 140 cost effectively delivers class-leading performance for the L-Category (scooters, motorbikes, quadricycles, final mile delivery vehicles) target market. It’s in production, generating healthy sales revenues and we’ve won a major UK Government research contract to fast-track us to mass production … BBC News APC16 research contract win – YouTube
We are growing rapidly and can offer rapid career progression for the right candidates. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the EV revolution in a diverse working environment, with a highly experienced and multi-faceted team. We are looking for self-starters with an entrepreneurial mindset and a flexible approach who will be able to thrive in a small but fast-growing business. Essential personal attributes include flexibility, good communication, impeccable integrity, strong team-spirit, creative problem solving, logical thinking and a positive attitude. We do not micro-manage and we are looking for results.
Description of the Role
We are looking for a passionate and dedicated Motor Design Engineer to join our close knit and experienced R&D team. You must have prior experience and deep knowledge in the design, simulation and testing of electric traction motors. You will also need to be able to work autonomously, take initiative and accept responsibility for delivery on various customer projects.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Design and simulate axial-flux electric motors (from a high-level sizing perspective through to detailed prediction of performance and efficiency).
- Demonstrate a creative attitude, find new solutions and investigate relevant novel technologies and their application.
- Quickly understand and further optimise our in-house axial-flux motor design calculations.
- Further develop our parametric motor performance prediction models.
- Specify appropriate verification tests to compare experimental and simulations results.
- Support Procurement with technical specifications and supplier liaison.
- Contribute to the requirements capture and decomposition process from system level to component level.
- Be aware of relevant automotive standards and quality-related requirements.
- Participate in technical design review sessions to evaluate solutions.
- Write technical reports.
- Contribute to the DFMEA, FTA, ETA design analysis process.
Profile & Skills:
- Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering Degree (MSc or, preferably, PhD).
- AC traction motor electromagnetic design (particularly axial-flux).
- AC motor modelling and control theory (d/q reference frame).
- Electromagnetic FEA (preferably ANSYS / COMSOL).
- Experience in cooling approaches for electric traction motors.
- Electric motor insulation knowledge (requirements specification, ageing analysis, automotive specifications, etc).
- Test procedures for automotive-grade electric traction motors (life rating, efficiency & performance, drive cycles, etc).
- Understanding of vehicle considerations for electric drivetrains.
- Programming / scripting and data analysis (MATLAB / Python / Excel).
- Large-scale optimisation procedures & approaches.
- Simulation of dynamic systems (Simulink / Octave / Modelica).
- 3D CAD and thermal FEA / CFD experience would be an advantage.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Flexi time scheme
- Share Scheme
- Social Activities
- Diversity and integrity with an international workforce.
Please send your application to the below address: